Brodie Lee continues to take shots at Vince McMahon.
Wednesday’s broadcast of AEW Dynamite defeated WWE NXT as both promotions continue to adjust to the new normal of empty-arena wrestling amid the rapidly changing coronavirus pandemic.
WWE NXT set the stage for the latest installment of the Johnny Gargano-Tommaso Ciampa rivalry as Triple H presided over a face-to-face confrontation between the two, who are set to go one-on-one in two weeks time.
Dynamite drew an average viewership of 819,000, down 12% from 932,000 last week. Dynamite came in at No. 23 in the Top 150 original cable telecasts among the 18-49 demographic. WWE NXT garnered just 669,000 viewers, up 22% from 542,000 last week, coming in at No. 56 in the 18-49 demo.
AEW Dynamite vs. WWE NXT: Wednesday, March 25, 2020
- AEW Dynamite Total Viewership—819,000
- AEW Dynamite Rating in 18-49 Demo—.34, No. 23
- WWE NXT Total Viewership—669,000
- WWE NXT Rating in 18-49 Demo—.20, No. 56
Though WWE NXT continues to trail AEW Dynamite by a considerable distance, this week’s show featured live wrestling throughout after last week’s pre-taped broadcast drew a historical low for NXT since permanently moving to the USA Network.
AEW continues to build up its newest acquisitions, as both Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy received significant television time, including Matt Hardy’s show-closing rebuff of Chris Jericho’s offer to join The Inner Circle.
Brodie Lee, meanwhile, furthered what was a noticeable theme of WWE bashing, using inside baseball to mock Vince McMahon’s hatred of sneezing during a vignette alongside minions Alex Reynolds and John Silver. The remark reportedly upset certain WWE officials in Stamford.
Later on in the broadcast, Chris Jericho flat-out accused Matt Hardy of being victimized by “bad booking,” while Cody took veiled shots throughout his stint on commentary.
WWE NXT closed with somewhat of a reveal to the “End is Near” vignettes as all signs point to Killer Kross, who was shown briefly on camera before the broadcast went off the air.
Upcoming AEW Dynamite Debuts, Matches and Segments
- Lance Archer’s In-Ring Debut*
Upcoming WWE NXT Debuts, Matches and Segments
- Velveteen Dream vs. Bobby Fish+
- Keith Lee vs. Damian Priest vs. Dominik Dijakovic—WWE NXT North American Championship+
- Second-Chance Gauntlet Match for Right to Compete in Women’s Ladder Match the WWE NXT Women’s Championship—Aliyah vs. Kayden Carter vs. Deonna Purrazzo vs. Shotzi Blackheart vs. Dakota Kai vs. Xia Li.+
- Payoff to “The End is Near” Vignettes (Killer Kross)