The first two weeks of the season haven’t been great for the New Orleans Saints’ Drew Brees or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Rob Gronkowski. As a result, EA dropped both stars’ ratings in their latest update.
Brees’ dip seems like it might be a little severe. He’s completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 472 yards, three TDs and one interception in two games. He’s not setting the world on fire, but that’s a bit more than respectable.
The same can’t be said for Rob Gronkowski. He is probably one of the most egregiously overrated players in Madden history. Through two games, Gronkowski has just two receptions for 11 yards. It appears he is finding it difficult to create separation, and Tom Brady has only targeted him four times.
Brees and Gronkowski are among the most noteworthy players to see a change to their ratings.
Take a look:
- Julio Jones -1 (Overall 96)
- Mitchell Schwartz -1 (Overall 95)
- Chandler Jones -1 (Overall 94)
- Nick Chubb +3 (Overall 93)
- Drew Brees -3 (Overall 90)
- Rob Gronkowski -2 (Overall 89)
- Demario Davis -1 (Overall 88)
- A.J. Green -1 (Overall 87)
- Demarcus Lawrence -2 (Overall 87)
- Patrick Peterson -1 (Overall 87)
- Za’Darius Smith -1 (Overall 87)
- T.Y. Hilton -1 (Overall 86)
- Deshaun Watson -1 (Overall 85)
- Emmanuel Sanders -2 (Overall 85)
- Ndamukong Suh -1 (Overall 85)
- Mike Gesicki +2 (Overall 81)
- Cam Newton +1 (Overall 80)
- Josh Allen +1 (Overall 78)
According to EA, more than 700 players were updated with increases or decreases over a variety of categories. In a previous article, I identified Cam Newton, and three other players who had seemingly out-performed their Madden ratings.
Newton saw another one-point hike, which is fair considering he’s looked great through two weeks. The Chicago Bears’ David Montgomery didn’t get any love despite a strong start to the season, and rebounding from a scary fall and neck injury early in Week 2.
The Pittsburgh Steelers’ Tyson Alualu did earn a two-point upgrade as he has been arguably the best defensive lineman in football during the first two weeks of the season.
We’ll see who else earns an upgrade or downgrade in Week 3.